Since the inception of our company, we’ve been dedicated to a level of social and environmental responsibility that begins with our employees, extends to our guests, and includes everything we do. Our commitment to social and environmental responsibility aligns with our values and provides a higher sense of purpose – radiating to our guests, to our employees and to the communities we inhabit. We track our environmental footprint through our various Going Green Initiatives— from energy use, water use and waste to setting goals and sharing best practices. We mobilize our team members to build a more integrated sustainable culture across all our properties, encouraging environmentally smart choices both inside and outside of work and continue to review and improve upon wherever possible.
We are committed to conserving our natural resources and improving our environment. As part of this process we have created Dewachen-Green committee; a collaboration of our employees, guests, associates and suppliers to drive our eco-friendly practices. Our goal is to reduce our carbon footprint by utilizing sustainable practices in all aspects of our operations. We strive to be a responsible environmental leader in the hospitality industry in Bhutan. We are implementing aggressive green initiatives and promoting conservation programs at each level of operation.
- The Road To Dewachen GREEN
- Dewachen-Green Committee
In order to help jump-start and facilitate our greening efforts, we established a Dewachen-Green Committee. The Green Committee consists of at least one member from every department who drives the greening effort and coordinate green programs there.
- SMART Targets
We then set SMART targets – ones that are Specific, Measurable,
Attainable, Realistic, and Time-constrained. These targets help to focus our greening efforts,
ensuring that we stay on track and moving forward.
- Dewachen GREEN Initiatives
A. REDUCE ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- Installation of LED lights and fixtures.
- Convert lighting in hallways, exit signs, lobby lights, etc. to energy- efficient lighting where possible
- Close / open curtains depending on season-Use Natural Lights as much as possible.
- Use cold water laundry system, except on Food & Beverage linens.
- Install motion sensor switches in all back-of-house storage areas
- Purchase Energy Star equipment/appliances
B. REDUCE WASTE CONSUMPTION
- Segregation of waste- Into Bio degradable, Non Biodegradable, Recyclable And: –
- Recycle paper, newspaper, cardboard, glass, aluminum, toner cartridges and/or plastic
- Print on post-consumer recycled content paper
- Recycle toners and inkjet cartridges
- Recycle in-room electronics
- Recycle hangers
- Default settings for printers to “double-sided”
- Offer check-out envelopes by request only
- Use consumable paper products made from recycled fibers
- Collect used amenities for donation to charity or recycling where practicable
- Offer towel and/or linen reuse option
- Develop an environmentally sensitive purchasing policy
- Recycling of obsolete IT equipment’s.
C. REDUCE WATER CONSUMPTION
- Use low-flow, energy-efficient and water-conserving shower heat toilets and faucets
- Offer towel and/or linen reuse option
- Showers facilities to encourage guests to use the shower instead of the bath resulting in water saving
- Achieve 100% Compliance with Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products (including laundry, kitchen and housekeeping products)
- Use non-phosphate, non-toxic biodegradable cleaning products.
D. IMPLEMENT SUSTAINABLE FOOD & BEVERAGE PRACTICES
- Buy local and organic produce whenever possible
- Eliminate endangered animals and fish from menus
- Donate leftover food to a local shelter whenever possible
- Minimize the use of disposable food service items
- Eliminate the use of Styrofoam or disposable cups.
- Eliminate bottled water in restaurants through high-tech, on-site water filtration system (Natural Water) wherever possible
- Recycle restaurant oil & grease
- All napkins to be clothe or recycled paper.
- Box lunch program; available in Eco-friendly recycled boxes.
- Use local produce for beverages, fruit, vegetables and dairy Products
E. EVENT OPERATIONS
- Room’s setup with 100% Recycled Paper writing Pads/Cards
- Recycling containers, clearly labeled and in place in meeting rooms/pre-function areas.
- Rooms setup with water coolers and / or water pitchers / carafes, reusable glassware
- Lights / HVAC turned off in rooms when not in use.
- Whiteboards are available for customer use.
- OUR EVERYDAY ACTION
- All our guest room amenities are eco friendly and paraben free products.
- Charitable donations- the proceeds from the hotel go to meeting the daily expenses of more than 650 monks & nuns studying at Gangtey Bhuddist Institute and Bumthang Tang Pema Chholing Nunnery.
- We segregate our trash; use-recycling programs for glass, plastic and cardboard, and we use the minimum number possible of truck pick-ups per week.
- Recycling food waste- The uneaten portions of meals and waste from food preparation are segregated and then given to feed stray dogs, goats, bulls and cows at Jangsa Animal Saving Sanctuary (for more information visit animalsaving.org)
- All pet bottles are sold to greener way and revenue earned is used for employee welfare and employee development programs.
- Some of the plastics are collected and donated to Clean Bhutan Project (cleanbhutan.org), which then reuses these materials to make products generating employment and income for women.
- We Offer towel & linen reuse program in all the guest rooms. Re- use towels on guest request.
- Training maintenance staff on conservation and energy procedures
- Tracking generation of solid waste on weekly and monthly basis.
- Daily monitoring of water/gas/electricity consumption to aid reducing consumption levels and Tracking energy and water consumption on a monthly basis.
- Giving preferential treatment to vendors/suppliers who offer recycled products
- Recycling program in administrative areas. Provide environmental awareness and training as part of the induction program.
- Recycling program in guest rooms-Provide newspapers on request to avoid wastage and recycle any spares.
- Encourage car share. Co-ordinate in advance staff taxi journeys and pick up and drop service to minimize number of taxi journeys
- Encourage local transport and provide information on their facilities to our guest, staff, suppliers and associates.
- Re-use of furniture and fittings after our refurbishments by donating to local monasteries and nunneries.
- Provide information on walks, day hikes, wildlife and parks for our guests
- We purchase as much of our food as possible from local farmers, which result in short distances traveled for many of our deliveries.
- THE Dewachen- ENVIRONMENTAL PROMISE
Through the formation of Dewachen Green Team. We will always identify and implement Eco-friendly policies into our day-to-day operations.
- We will work with our supplier partners to reduce their packaging and transport to our hotel.
- We will monitor utility consumption levels on a daily basis and aim to reduce consumption at every opportunity.
- We will endeavor to purchase recycled goods whenever appropriate.
- We will endeavor to use Eco-friendly amenities and equipment at all times to come.
- HELP US BE GREEN
In the coming years, it will become increasingly important to stay up to date on Eco-friendly
initiatives. For us, Dewachen-Green is just the beginning. We are continuing to
implement new initiatives and set new SMART targets as we work toward our goal. Going green has become a priority for our company, and we hope you will embrace our efforts as we move forward.